Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's so great about cloth diapering?

***disclaimer*** I never claim to be an expert on anything, just sharing my personal experience/opinion.

From speaking with friends and family members who use disposable diapers, I have figured most people spend on average $40-80/month on diapers for one child. Taking the low end of that average and multiplying it by a year you will come out with $480/ year.

If you have a child in diapers until they're 3 years old, you will spend about $1500 on diapers. Yikes that's a lot! And that's not even including wipes!

If you have more than 1 child, we're talking a lot of mulah! For someone who has 4 kids, they will most likely spend about $5000-6000 on diapers in their diapering career, on diapers alone.

So cost alone was a good enough reason for me! I hope to have 4 kids, so the thought of spending that was a bit scary, let alone the environmental factors.

We have $476 worth of diapers (more than enough for our household) and that will last us our entire diapering careers! Plus we use cloth wipes (that's another post) so we don't have any monthly expenses to diaper our 2 children. Awesome!

I've really only shared the financial reasons to cloth diaper. I am not about bashing other people's choices to use disposables, so I will let you read more about the environmental factors on your own. But I will say after reading them, I was convinced that we needed to do this for more than just money.

1 comment:

  1. Plus- CD children are toilet trained 6 months earlier, on average, than non CD children. Double great because you don't have to deal with diapers as long or what would be the extra 6 months of disposable expense!

    ReplyDelete