Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Isn't it really gross?

Isn't all poop gross? :)

I don't personally find CD's more gross than disposables. With 1 niece and 6 nephews, I've changed a LOT of poopy diapers over the years and to me, it's really not much different.

I'll do a detailed post on washing them, but for now I'll just talk about the difference between my breast fed child (who isn't on any solids yet) and my almost 3 year old, who clearly eats normal food. Cuz YES it makes a difference!

When I change my 6 month old's diaper it's no big deal. His poop is runny and liquidy, kind of looks like mustard. There's not much I can do to rid the diaper of the poop as it's basically like urine, only a little thicker. So in his case, it hasn't been gross at all. I just take the diaper off and throw it in the pail.

When I change my 2.5 year old's diaper with poop in it, it's a bigger deal. Thankfully he only poops 1x a day!

The hope is that his poop will be solid (like adult poop) and he won't have smooshed it in his butt! Cuz when it's solid, it's super easy, you just dump the poop in the toilet and throw the diaper in the pail.

But when you don't catch it and it's smooshed, it's those times I wish he was wearing a sposie :)

But whatever, you deal with it. And it's gross but so is much of parenting little kids!

When the smooshing occurs, you take the diaper off, and with a wipe or toilet paper (others use a scraping tool like a spatula, but I couldn't stomach it!) you try to scrape off as much poop as possible and dump it in the toilet. You're not suppose to flush wipes, so I try to use toilet paper. Then when you get as much as you can, you throw it in the pail.

Yes some will be left behind, but trust me, it comes out! And no you won't find poop leftover in the washer! We've yet to have it happen.

These diaper are amazing, most the time they come out looking brand new!

3 comments:

  1. This is something Ben and I are seriously considering next time around. When I went to buy Owen another diaper they had a sprayer there that you can hook up to your toliet and just spray clean the poopy off...have you gotten that yet? or know someone that has it to see if its worth getting/using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel this is awesome. Would you mind if I link to it in my blog? Also, as to the diaper sprayer the above poster asked about, my husband installed one (by just buying parts at Home Depot) and it works AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my diaper sprayer! I also love that my little cd babe has very plopable poo most of the time!

    Great blog. I'm going to link through mine!

    ReplyDelete